The Pokémon Go game has taken over the world by storm and in case you’re wondering what it’s all about here are a couple of facts that can help you out.
1) It’s based on a popular franchise – Pokémon short for Pocket monsters is a highly popular franchise that’s been around for over 20 years. In Pokémon, monsters roam the lands and your job is to capture and train them and put them into battle with other players. These games were initially launched on the Nintendo Gameboy and ended up spawning TV franchises, Movie Franchises, trading cards and even theme parks. Pokémon Go built by developer Niantic is an AR (Augmented reality) game which is adapted from the original franchise.
2) You can play it on your smartphone – This is a game you can play on your smartphone which makes it easily accessible to hundreds of millions of people. You can do everything on your smartphone from finding, catching and battling your Pokémon. The app takes advantage of your GPS location and camera to give you an immersive experience. Make sure to keep a battery pack by your side because this app is a battery guzzler.
3) It involves going into the outside world – This game involves you actually going outside your house to play it. As you wander around the Pokémon will appear on your GPS linked map. You can then switch your phone to the real world view using your camera with the Pokémon animated on the actual terrain your camera is facing. You then throw Pokeballs (within your smartphone) at them to capture and contain them. This game has actually encouraged people to get some exercise and people have been known to have walked tens of kilometers to capture their Pokemon.
4) The Pokemon are tied to physical location and Geography – There are different types of Pokémon tied to various elements such as water, earth, grass and fire. What Pokémon Go has done has mapped the world in such a way that Pokémon of certain elements will appear in specific areas – so water Pokémon will appear around water bodies while other environments such as rainforests, mountains and deserts will have their own unique Pokémon. The developers have made sure that these Pokémon are not found in dangerous or unreachable locations.
5) Everybody’s on it – Pokémon Go It has been downloaded over 20 million times with an average of 4-5 million downloads a day. It also has almost 20 million daily active users in the US alone. It has people spending the highest time on an app (43 minutes a day) as compared to apps like Whatsapp, Snapchat and Facebook.